A Question on Scotland’s Share of UK Assets


I have been reading in the press that Professor Adam Tomkins, the John Millar Professor of Public Law at Glasgow University, has expressed the legal opinion that an independent Scotland would only be able to keep UK assets located in Scotland.

That contrasts with Alex Salmond’s assertion that Scotland would have a share of all assets in the UK.

Can you imagine the ludicrous situation of an independent Scottish Government having an 8.5% share of  the Houses of Parliament? Mind you, that would mean that the rest of the UK (rUK) would own 91.5% of the Holyrood Parliament; Westminster would want to charge an extortionate rent 🙂

According to Professor Tomkins, International Law states that the continuator state (rUK) would continue to own State property located within its territory and abroad. Scotland would own all property located in Scotland.; EXCEPT  institutions of security – Faslane (well, the SNP doesn’t want that anyway!

Alright, here’s the question.

What has the Scottish Government, and Alex Salmond received as legal advice on their position that Scotland would share in all UK’s physical assets?

Advertisements

About homerlindsay

I am a retired systems analyst. I love travelling with my wife and 2 Yorkies in our motorhome around the UK and Europe. I am interested in people, politics and photography. In retirement I am interested in helping hard-working and focused people to build an online business.
This entry was posted in Scottish Independence Referendum and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A Question on Scotland’s Share of UK Assets

  1. iainb2014 says:

    Legal advice? No idea. Does that then mean that, since the 310tonnes of gold are in England, (what Gordon Brown didn’t sell off at the bottom of the market, what a genius!) they’re English and Scotland has no claim to a share?(Brown sold 395tonnes, cheap, to service UK debt.) Which Scotland didn’t need. Don’t you think a fair and equitable solution, given that Scotlands share of the debt is less than its share of movable/fixed Scottish assets, to swap debt for assets, Scotland walks away ‘scot’ free? Be the last profit England would make from us…..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s