It needn’t be that way, of course. Voting to stay within the UK would, hopefully, be forever; but it does give the possibility in a generation or two for the question to be raised again.
Voting for independence on the other hand would be irrevocable!
There would then be no going back!
In the meantime, reflect on some of the trouble spots in the world today; Ukraine, Syria, Iraq – and then consider that in Scotland:
- We are a free people
- We have freedom of speech
- We have freedom of movement
- We are a democracy
- We are a proud nation
- We are part of the United Kingdom, with 300 years of history, world recognition, world influence, and a higher standard of living than many places in the world.
- The UK is far stronger as a whole than the sum of its nation parts. Separation would not just reduce Scottish influence, but damage the UK as well.
- We can do more to improve those aspects of society that are at a disadvantage by working harder together within the UK than by going it alone which is fraught with so much risk.